Hiking, biking, and boating can be fun and healthy activities. It is always best, however, to take steps to avoid injury and plan for the unexpected. Here are some basic safety tips that we hope will make your experiences in Washington County positive ones.
- Stay on the trail. Always stay on the marked trail or areas with solid footing. Be particularly careful near cliffs and drop-offs.
- Watch your step. Look for slippery areas and take your time to avoid tripping. Trails are often blocked by low-hanging branches, fallen trees, and other debris.
- Share your plans. Whenever you go out, make sure to let others know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Know your limits. Be aware of your physical condition and don’t overdo it. If you are hiking or biking with a group, be mindful of those less capable and set a pace that works for everyone.
- Dress appropriately. Wear clothing and footwear for the conditions and season.
- Be weather wise. Keep an eye on current and predicted weather conditions.
- Learn basic first aid and carry a first aid kit.
- If you are boating, make sure to include properly-rated life-vests and floatation devices for each member of your group.
- Bicyclists should be mindful of pedestrians, hikers, and other cyclists.
Hagerstown Bicycle Safety Video